Recorded, Mixed, Produced and Mastered by David Frederick in the box. df|MG Studios Thousand Oaks, CA. The United States. Music Recorded between January - June 2021. Mastered through Wave's Abby Road Mastering Chain Plug-In.
Cover photograph by Kailey Frederick. Album design df|MG Records.
David uses and supports Apple Macintosh computers, Steinberg Cuebase and Steinberg VST's, Arturia VST's, Avid Pro Tools, Magix Sound Forge, Waves & Izotope Plug-Ins, Uhe VST's, Spitfire Audio Sample Libraries, Heavyocity Sample Libraries, Native Instruments, Cinesamples Sample Libraries, and Icon Pro Audio.
© 2021 David Frederick - df|Music Group. All Rights Reserved. df|MG Records.
TRAVELER - The new jazz fusion album from award-winning composer and musician David Frederick.
Taking a brief break from film and television composition during the COVID 19 Pandemic, David went back to his roots as a pianist, organist, keyboard player, and synthesist to compose, perform and deliver his new album Traveler.
Traveler draws on David's musical "travels" from being a jazz musician and session keyboard player in NYC, London, Boston, and beyond. David's Traveler draws on timeless jazz fusion, funk, and Latin jazz inspirations such as Chick Corea, Jeff Lorber, Herbie Hancock, Lyle Mayes, Keith Emerson, Michel Camilo, Eddie Palmieri, Paquito d'Rivera, Rubin Gonzalez, Tower of Power, and more to deliver a fresh and eclectic new sound.
From funkified and infectious grooves to smooth jazz, big analog synthesizers to Latin jazz fusion. Traveler is a musical journey and rediscovery of David's musical roots.
David describes the album this way "I wanted to rediscover my keyboard chops while writing some groove-oriented songs for this album. I took a "stream of consciousness composition" approach to this album where I sat down at the keyboard and computer and started with a musical idea or motif, and kept going until I felt done. All the parts were recorded as I went along. No formal A,B,A styled song form premeditation, etc. Just whatever came to mine, felt groovy and ended up being whatever it ended up being. Truly a stream of consciousness type of vibe.
I really wanted to incorporate groove throughout. Whether through Latin percussion, cool synthesizer grooves, rhythmic comping, or just straight-up funky grease. If it didn't groove it didn't work for me. I also wanted to incorporate the big analog synthesizer sounds of the '70s and '80s. The sounds I literally grew up with! This allowed me to use my custom synthesizer sound patches from my favorites...the Arp 2600, Minimoog, Oberheim SEM, Prophet 5, Yamaha CS-80 and DX 7II, Hammond B3, and more.
While I performed 95% of the instruments on the album, there are a couple of tracks that feature some of my musical friends. These include drummer extraordinaire Jay Dittamo, the amazing Brazilian drummer Sallaberry, and long-time friend and guitarist Grey Moore to help bring some additional groove magic and musical performance to the album. I am so grateful they contributed to this project and as a result, made the album even better. There is nothing like playing music with your friends!
For me, Traveler is really a journey through all of my early musical career and styles of music I have played as a keyboard player. It was a nice change of pace from scoring music for film and television. On this project... it was great to be able to play, comp, solo, groove...as a keyboard player... as a musician, and not just as a composer. Revisit the chops so to speak and spread a little East Coast grease.
This album is also special to me because of the loss of so many of my keyboard hero's over the years. Giants like Keith, Chick, and Lyle. As a result, I have tried to incorporate some little sounds, motifs, etc. either consciously or subconsciously that remind me of them, as sort of an homage to their legacy and influence on my music and style of play.
I truly hope you enjoy this album and if nothing else, appreciate the grooves and very cool old analog synthesizer and B3 organ sounds found throughout. See you in the movies!"
ALBUM LINER NOTES
This album is dedicated to my wife Stephanie who encouraged me to revisit my jazz and fusion roots and create this album, and who has always been my biggest fan, supporter, and believer since day 1. Special thanks and glory to God who without the talent with which he blessed me, this album would not exist. Nor would I for that matter! Very special thanks to my #1 fan club... my 5 children who always support me and my work.
Additional thanks go to my musical friends and collaborators. My long-time friends and drummer's Jay Dittamo and Sallaberry, and very long-time friend and Guitarist Grey Moore. Your contribution not only made this project fun but also made it infinitely better. Final thanks go to the composers and keyboard players who have made a huge impact on my keyboard playing - Keith Emerson, Chick Corea, Lyle Mays, Jeff Lorber, Dave Grusin, Oscar Peterson, as well as the incomparable Michel Camilo, and Herbie Hancock.
1. Central Park West (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Rhodes Electric Piano, Grand Piano, Hammond B3, Arp 2600, Synclavier, Yamaha DX7II, Oberheim SEM, Prophet 5, and Bass, Featuring Jay Dittamo - Drums.
2. Low Ride Phatty (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Grand Piano, Rhodes Electric Piano, Hammond B3, Arp 2600, Prophet 5, Jupiter 4, Steinberg Halion Horns, Minimoog Bass, Drums Machine and Percussion Programming.
3. Miami Nights (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Grand Piano, Steinberg Halion Horns, Prophet 5, Oberheim SEM, Bass, Featuring Jay Dittamo - Drums, and Latin Percussion.
4. Funkus Digitation (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Hammond B3, Clavinet, Prophet 5, Steinberg Halion Horns, Minimoog, Bass, Guitars, Drums programming.
5. A Road to Nowhere (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Grand Piano, Vibes, Oberheim SEM, Yamaha CS-80, Arp 2600, Steinberg Padshop, Guitars, Bass, Drum, and Brazilian Percussion programming.
6. Newbury St. (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Arp 2600, Hammond B3, Rhodes Electric Piano, Minimoog, Oberheim SEM, Steinberg Halion Horns, Vocoder, Bass, Percussion programming, Featuring Jay Dittamo - Drums.
7. Ocean Blue (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Grand Piano, Arp 2600, Steinberg Padshop, Strings, Guitars, Drums, and Brazilian Percussion programming.
8. East Coast Stroke (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Rhodes Electric Piano, Grand Piano, Hammond B3, Arp 2600, Minimoog, Steinberg Halion Horns, Clavinet and Bass. Featuring Sallaberry - Drums and drum loop programming.
9. Echo (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Grand Piano, Prophet 5, Oberheim SEM, Roland Jupiter 8 & Juno 101, Juno Synth Bass, Drum Machine programming.
10. And Softly She Said (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Rhodes Electric Piano, Grand Piano, Arp 2600, DX7 II, Oberheim SEM, Steinberg Halion and Padshop, Nylon Guitar, Bass, Drum, and Brazilian Percussion programming.
11. PCH (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Rhodes Electric Piano, Grand Piano, Arp 2600, Minimoog, Oberheim SEM, Synclavier, Bass, Drum, and Brazilian Percussion programming. Featuring Sallaberry - Drum solo.
12. Hollywood & Vine (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Hammond B3, Arp 2600, Clavinet, Minimoog, Rhodes Electric Piano, Steinberg Padshop, and Halion Horns, Bass, Drums, and Percussion programming.
13. Traveler (Composed by David Frederick- BMI) - David - Grand Piano, Arp 2600, Minimoog, Oberheim SEM, Steinberg Halion Horns, and Padshop, Featuring Grey Moore - Guitar.